A question about a recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Phyllis Grant. Hi, I mixed these up last night and even just looking at the dough, it seemed to have an unusually high butter to flour ratio. I baked part of the batter, and as expected, these spread a ton and were very lacy. I am going to bake off the rest of the dough this morning, is there something I missed? Any tips? Or is this just meant to be a thin, lacy, cookie? Just wondering because I was hoping for those thicker, denser looking cookies in the photo. Thank you!

• Posted by: caitlin
  • October 22, 2016
74c10604 2696 4585 b3d5 8bdf0571cb2a  food52 chochipcookies5
Recipe question for: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Smaug October 22, 2016

The flour is a couple of Tb short of the Toll House recipe, possibly due to the author's method of measuring flour, which can be pretty individual. Certainly if you measured it sifted you would come up out of proportion. One thing that can help- if you form the cookies with wet hands, they seem to have less tendency to spread- it also makes the process considerably neater.

Phyllis Grant
Phyllis Grant October 22, 2016

It's a very traditional butter to flour ratio, almost identical to Toll House cookies. So they shouldn't be lacy. Is it possible you put in double the butter? Or are you using a new/different kind of butter?

caitlin
caitlin October 22, 2016

Thanks for replying, Phyllis! I checked if I was doubling the butter an embarrassing number of times, so no :) But I just checked - I used Kerrygold, which has 12g fat to each T (14g) of butter, as opposed to Breakstone or another typical supermarket brand, which I think just has 11g fat to each 14g butter. So maybe that's the difference?

Susan W October 22, 2016

Caitlin, I have made these several times with great success and always with kerrygold. Is it possible that you measured your flour incorrectly?

Susan W October 22, 2016

One more thought. You didn't sift and then measure the flour did you? That can make a huge difference. Also, did you forget or incorrectly measure the leavening? I've done that multiple times in my baking career.

caitlin
caitlin October 22, 2016

Hi Susan, no, I don't think I measured the flour incorrectly and didn't sift first (just a little fluff in the bag, then gently spoon into the measuring cups and level), but now that I think about it, what I did do was try to bring the butter to room temp in the microwave. So it was part solid, a little melty when I used it. That could definitely make for spready cookies, right?

Susan W October 22, 2016

Caitlin that could be it!! I know when I forgot (or was too impatient) to let my browned butter go back to solid for a cookie recipe, they spread way too much for me.

Smaug July 27, 2018

I usually (not by accident) omit the leavening in chocolate chip cookies; it has no particular effect except a slightly less puffy cookie.

Phyllis Grant
Phyllis Grant October 22, 2016

Try rolling the dough into balls and freezing them. Then bake from frozen. i've made these cookies with a range of flour from less than 2 cups up to 2.5 cups. they are never lacy. it might have something to do with the fact that the butter was partially melted. Paging Harold McGee! Fascinating. Let me research a bit.

Nancy October 22, 2016

You said you baked part of the dough. If you still have any left, bake (all of) it in a cast iron frying pan, then serve it as a giant chocolate chip cookie.
Serve plain or with ice cream.
Sample recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe...

Nancy October 22, 2016

Or freeze the dough, as recipe author suggests, but then bake the cookies in a muffin tin, if you are still worried about them spreading too much.

kk
kk May 16, 2018

can you show me how to make peanut butter and chocolate cookies

saurabhdas
saurabhdas July 27, 2018

I’m dying heart chocolate lover and to satisfy the chocolate cravings I have tried a lot of chocolate chip cookies recipes at home. And now, if you ask me about the best recipe then I would suggest you guys check the Living Foodz website having the most buttery, crunchy cookie recipe and it also has a lot of other tasty food recipes
Click on the link below to open your box of happiness at home-: https://livingfoodz.com/recipes/Crunchy-Cookies-1082