A question about a recipe: Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake

Ffcd4803 ce58 48bb 961c ec16ecaa9b0c  2013 1001 genius chocolate cake 450

I have a question about the recipe "Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake" from Genius Recipes. Advice on incorporating black cocoa into this recipe? I'd love to use it to amp up the chocolatey flavor and dark color, but I'm not sure how to go about it since black cocoa is less acidic. Only swap in a little bit, maybe? Or use baking powder instead of soda?

asked by ariel a almost 2 years ago

Hi ariel, I've never tried this but I love the sound of it. Check out this helpful article, in which our resident baking expert Erin McDowell swaps in black cocoa freely, unless the recipe is very low in fat or high in leavener: https://food52.com/blog... Another good way to amp up the cocoa flavor would be with about a teaspoon of instant espresso.