🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Torrisi's Turkey

3963994c b3bf 42d6 8567 bbb452ce40c8  genius turkey breast food52 mark weinberg 14 11 04 0666

I have a question about the recipe "Torrisi's Turkey" from Genius Recipes. Is there any magic in using a leave-in meat thermometer for this? Could one test using a Thermapen (or other reliable instant read) instead?

asked 8 months ago

I can't imagine why not. I tend to use my Poldark more than my Thermapen, just because I'm used to it.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I'm intrigued - Poldark, as in Ross, a la Masterpiece Theatre? Clearly that guy made temps rise, but I had no idea there was a thermometer named for him (?)

Thanks. I just stumbled on this helpful bit of insight by J. Kenzi L-A -

". . . . I generally advocate against making a leave-in probe thermometer the only thermometer in your arsenal. It's impossible to guess where the coolest part of the meat is going to be before the meat is cooked, thus the thermometer has a very good chance of giving you a false alarm. Use it as an early warning system at most. http://www.seriouseats...

He makes a convincing argument for sticking with my Thermapen.

Thanks again. ;o) P.S. amysarah, the thermometer manufacturer is actually Polder. Love the reference to Poldark, however! (Such an interesting, beautifully-done series. Production design alone deserves an Emmy.)

Ah, that makes more sense, AJ. Though I was imagining a Demelza whisk, a Warleggen grater... And yes, I'm also a sucker for the gorgeous Cornish coast, costumes and sets. (In my fantasy universe, I'm a production designer/art director for film.)