A question about a recipe: Brown Butter Butternut Rolls

22446c4c 1894 4e58 bad9 2aff66901615  pxetrfbg 0oosut9larf10qeug70vdtuvwqwt4dshg0

I have a question about the recipe "Brown Butter Butternut Rolls" from inpatskitchen. I can't get this dough to rise - !! Am I supposed to activate the yeast first (and then 'whisk' it into the dry ingredients?

asked by Rita Perez over 1 year ago

thecookandthetraveler

Rita- I don't know this recipe first hand but when I make brioche (I am assuming this the same base) I do activate the yeast before mixing into the dry ingredients. This allows you to make sure the yeast is still active so that you don't waste all the other ingredients having added them to a yeast that is past its prime. Hope this helps.

Rita Perez

Thank you! It helps a lot.

As the recipe is written (with rapid rise yeast) no, it isn't usually proofed and not in this recipe. If you used active dry yeast it might be a problem, but should still rise(maybe not so evenly) as long as it was hydrated - is it possible you had the milk butter mixture too hot?

Rita Perez

Actually, I was afraid I didn't have the milk/butter hot enough. So, I checked the temp until it got up to 100 but, that was way past "barely melted". Hey, I sincerely appreciate your input. This is the 3rd time I've tried the recipe because I love the ingredients but, I was ready to toss in the towel this time.

I dunno- the recipe seems fine- maybe your yeast has gone bad, never trusted these newfangled yeasts anyway. You seem determined- probably doing it with active dry yeast and proofing it is your best bet. Assuming you don't have it rising in an ice cave or something.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I'm so sorry you're having problems with this. Maybe using regular active dry yeast and proofing will solve the problem. And is your dough rising in a warm enough place? I usually turn my oven on to 100F while I'm making the dough, turn the oven off and leave it open for about 10 minutes. Then put the covered dough in to let it rise. Or just wait and let it slowly rise..

Rita Perez

Really appreciate the input. Thanks, I'll try proofing first.

weshook

Rita, did you ever have success with this? I made them today using regular dry active yeast. I did mix in a different order. My squash was cold from the refrigerator, so I heated the milk and butter, stirred it into the squash, then added the yeast after checking to make sure the mixture wasn't too warm. Then I stirred in the egg, brown sugar and salt. Added the flour gradually until I needed to knead by hand. I let it rise in a slightly warmed oven. It rose nicely.

Julie

Thanks! This is the answer.....