🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Vera Obias' Cheddar & Black Pepper Cornbread

924cb81b 70b4 4f15 983b 2073a3f59946  hero

I have a question about the recipe "Vera Obias' Cheddar & Black Pepper Cornbread" from Genius Recipes. Could I sub coconut milk or whole milk in for buttermilk? Would that impact the lightness/density of the bread?

asked by Arousing Appetites 11 months ago

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Hi. If you have whole milk on hand, add a tablespoon or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for a few minutes. That will produce a reasonable substitute for baking. But if you'll be grocery shopping anyway, pick up some buttermilk.

E4e59cb1 e7b6 48ea 8d23 bf6cca6ca275  883004 10152206180238679 1123186313 o
Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm

Assistant Editor at Food52

Hi! If you're going to substitute coconut milk or whole milk for the buttermilk, I would suggest mixing it first with a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. The acid in the buttermilk reacts with baking soda, helping to leaven and aid the cornbread in rising. Hope this helps!