A question about a recipe: Butternut Squash Brown Rice Porridge

55a775c1 7178 4619 8209 0a278daa2c06  2016 1019 savory brown rice porridge with butternut squash mark weinberg 223

I have a question about the recipe "Butternut Squash Brown Rice Porridge" from recordsintheden. Could I use long grain brown rice instead of short grain?

asked by Emily Love over 1 year ago

Lainie

I think you should be able to make this with long grain rice. You may want to add less water and not cook for as long as specified in the recipe.

Elizabeth

I used long grain brown rice with no adjustments (except halving the recipe) and it worked well.

recordsintheden

You can definitely make it with another type of rice. Rice porridge that I've had in restaurants, for example, is usually made with jasmine rice, and I've also made rice porridge at home with a wild rice blend. (see here: https://recordsintheden...)

The difference will be in the amount of water you use. For example, short grain brown rice takes more water and makes a thicker porridge while jasmine can tend to be soupier. Either way it should work out.