A question about a recipe: Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie

670d4e4d c1d4 47e5 a930 736517ded9c9  2014 1030 pumpkin pie 013

I have a question about the recipe "Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie" from Genius Recipes. I have a 10 inch cast iron pan and was hoping to use it to make this pie. If I blind bake the crust, do I need to let it cool before baking with the custard? Can I stick with the same cooking time once I pour the custard in and place in the oven?

asked by Marjorie about 2 years ago

Matilda Luk

I thought the point of that particular recipe was that you don't have to blind bake the crust?

Marjorie

Yes, but it in a pie tin. A cast iron is way thicker but it also holds heat better. Not sure how to adjust.

Matilda Luk

I would worry more about overcooking the crust since a cast iron pan is very dark colored. In step 5 of the recipe, there's a note about blind baking only if you're baking in a ceramic or heavy glass pan, both of which are not as good as conducting heat as metal.