Jeremy Beker
Jeremy Beker

Senior Software Engineer at Food52

I'd definitely advocate for refrigeration of the pie. As for covering you want to make sure that you don't have either moisture build up on the inside of your covering or have your cover stick to the surface of your wonderful pie. If you could find one of the plastic covers that bakeries use on pies that would be perfect, but maybe a loose tent of foil could accomplish the same goal.

Alice Medrich
Alice Medrich

Alice is a James Beard Foundation and IACP award-winning author of ten cookbooks, including her latest, Flavor Flours.

A pumpkin pie is a custard pie. Refrigeration is best. To minimize or avoid moisture from collecting on the surface, do not cover the pie until it is completely cool, even cold. I refrigerate it uncovered until cold, and then cover it. You can use plastic wrap if it's stretched tight over the pie without touching the filling, but it's afer to use a domed cover or put the whole thing into a container. If beads of condensation form on the surface of the pie in spite of your best efforts, you can fix that with toilet paper (unscented please) before you serve. You can only do this when the pie is cold. Lay pieces of toilet paper on the surface of the pie (don't use paper towels because they will leave the impression of the weave pattern on the pie!) and then lift them up. This will blot the moisture from the surface (it works on cheesecakes too...) without damaging the surface. Do not dab or wipe—just lay 'em on and lift 'em up. No more condensation.

Kenzi Wilbur

In the fridge definitely yes! i would cover with saran wrap tightly over the edge of the crust, so it stays above (and not touching) the custard surface.

meathead
meathead

Author of the New York Times Best Seller “Meathead, The Science of Barbecue and Grilling” and barbecue whisperer of AmazingRibs.com.

It can sit out at room temp, covered, but I would prefer you put it in the fridge or a cool pantry (I put them on my patio under the hood of my grill so critters won't get it).

Kenzi Wilbur

And! If your covering does end up disrupting the pie's surface, cover the whole thing in whipped cream. :)

E
E

Thank you! One more question -- could you make and roll out the crust today and keep it in the fridge in the pie plate until tomorrow and then finish? Or keep it in disk form in plastic until the am? Thank you again for all the great advice!!

Perfectly fine to roll the pastry, put it in the pie pan, wrap well and chill overnight before baking tomorrow. I do it all the time. (Chilling it in a disk to roll tomorrow is fine too, of course.)