Thermapen® Mk4 digital thermometer

Hi.

I am looking into buying a digital thermometer and from my research, the Thermapen MK4 is most recommended. It is pricey and was wondering if anyone has this, how they like it and if it worth the money. Thermoworks has lowered price models, with limited features. Thank you!

asked by Ellie Landau almost 2 years ago

Jeremy Beker
Jeremy Beker

Senior Software Engineer at Food52

I am a very very happy owner of my thermapen. I knew when I got it that it would be useful, but I didn't realize at the time how much better it is than a "traditional" digital thermometer. I use it very often. For the obvious uses of checking meat doneness, but I will also use it to check the temperature of water if a specific temp is called for and for basically any time a temperature is called for.

As for cost, yes it is a bit expensive, but it is very solidly built and I have no doubt it will last me for many many years.

Ellie Landau

Thank you so much!

LOVE my Thermapen. You won't buy another. Go for it!

Zane

Wow, nice gadgets are always nice, and yes I have been known to not be to concerned on prices when buying them but for me the price difference between the one you are looking at vs. other digital thermometers just doesn't cut it.

If you you do purchase it, can you please let us know how many degrees your current thermometer is? Would be interesting to hear about the discrepency.

Windischgirl

I have the Thermoworks Dot and am very happy with it...except for the fact that the clip doesn't fit over the edge of my pots. But I find it fast, sturdy, and accurate...and a whole bunch cheaper than the thermopen.
Thermoworks sends me emails at least twice a week and they are always having sales. Plus if you go in with some friends, bulk is cheaper and you can save on shipping.

Windischgirl

Sorry, I have the ThermoPop, not the Dot.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am a Thermapen person and really happy with it. It is my trusted buddy. (But in the spirit of full disclosure, I never played with other thermometers).

Kaite

I had been wanting a Thermapen for a while, and finally got the MK4 last year as a gift. I adore it! I love how fast it reads temperatures. I use it for yeasted doughs when checking the temp of my liquids for the yeast. I use it to check when breads are done. I use it for meat temps. I have yet to test it out with candy making. I love that the light turns on automatically, and how the display rotates depending on how you hold it. I graduated to the Thermapen after using a standard thermometer, so I can't say anything about other ones. At the end of the day though, I would totally buy a Thermapen again!

Ellie Landau

Thank you so much! I just bought the Thermapen MK4 (in pink:):)) and I will receive it next week. I am so excited to start using this and again, thank you all for your suggestions. Food52 is just the best!!!

I have the Thermopen, and I use it; but for meat I wouldn't trade my Polder probe.

I recently bought a Thermapen and am so pleased with it. As others have said, it's great for getting the temperature of water when making bread doughs just right (and for artisanal breads, the temperature makes a difference). I use it most often these days for measuring the internal temperature of baked breads, including non-standard breads like focaccia, which you can't really thump - the traditional (and not always unreliable) method for confirming that the bread is fully baked. ;o)