A question about a recipe: Not-Too-Virtuous Salad with Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette

25b7e33f f916 4460 bd1c e4193a20f201  011811f 313

I have a question about the recipe "Not-Too-Virtuous Salad with Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette" from wanderash. I made this dressing once before for a dinner party and the flavor was delicious! I tried doubling the recipe this time because we loved it so much, but it came out VERY oily in flavor. I tried to balance it with a little dijon mustard, orange juice, and sugar. It helped a little, but the flavor is nowhere near as good as it was the first time I made the recipe.

asked by Anna over 1 year ago

Lost_in_NYC

When doubling recipes, its best to go a light-handed on the more 'heavy' ingredients (oil/vinegars, ingredients with a stronger flavor, certain spices, etc) as they can easily over-power the taste one is trying to achieve. Its better to add in little by little until you reach the taste & consistency you're looking for. As they say in cooking, you can always 'add' but you can't 'subtract (ingredients)!'

Perhaps the doubled amount of oil in this recipe was too much for the quantity you were making and might needed less?

Anna

Thank you so much! I will keep this in mind from now on.

caninechef

Did you use the same oil( type and brand) both times? My salad dressings can vary a lot depending on the oil used.