Is it necessary to peel ginger?

I make this delicious recipe for homemade ginger ale all the time. My question is, do I really have to peel the ginger, or if I don't peel it does it turn bitter or have some other undesirable side effect? Thank you for any assistance you might offer!
https://food52.com/recipes...

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013

MMH January 25, 2017
I buy a number of mobs @ the Asian Mkt because it's so much cheaper. Then, I use a serrated grapefruit spoon and scrape off the skin. I wrap them & freeze them and grate it on a rasp while frozen when needed. Works great.

sydney January 24, 2017
I only peel if it's conventionally grown. I don't peel if it's organic. I always check the 'Dirty Dozen' list of the safest and most toxic produce and buy, 'treat', and eat accordingly. I buy organic as much as I can afford. Google 'Dirty Dozen' and see the list from your fave news provider. Pesticides and herbicides linked to loads of cancers and autoimmunity.

Smaug January 23, 2017
You'd probably want to wash it pretty thoroughly- it does grow (partially) in dirt, and who knows what goes on in a ginger factory.

drbabs January 23, 2017
If you freeze the ginger and grate out with a microphone, most of the peel stays behind, and what doesn't isn't noticeable.

drbabs January 24, 2017
I meant microplane. (didn't see the auto-correct.)

HalfPint January 23, 2017
If it's being filtered out, I don't bother to peel. When it's part of a dish I do because the peel can be tough and unpleasant.

Micki B. January 23, 2017
When I make ginger syrup I don't peel the ginger and it's fine. The one advantage of peeling the ginger here is that you can snack on it when you're done. (you can probably eat the skin, but I don't think it'd taste great)

ktr January 23, 2017
I never peel ginger. I've not noticed any change in taste but I will add that I have not made ginger ale with it where the flavor is much more noticeable than when cooking a dish with a small amount of ginger in it.