A question about a recipe: Miso Black Cod

C7127e0d f8c4 43c2 86ef e730c69a857d  2014 0610 wc miso black cod 015

I have a question about the recipe "Miso Black Cod" from edamame2003. Can you substitute black cod with cod?

asked by Jessica Aguilar over 1 year ago

Jan Weber

I suppose you could, but it might work better for a fish that is a little bit denser. I would try halibut, cobia, snapper, striped bass, or even mackerel if you don't mind a fish that's slightly more oily (I think the marinade described in the recipe would balance that out well enough).

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I agree with Jan... Cod is a bit too flaky for this recipe, because black cod (sablefish) has much denser texture. Salmon might work well too. I've seen a lot of recipes that subbed salmon for sablefish in black cod miso.

I agree with the above suggestions. I've also made this sort of recipe with Arctic Char and trout fillets.

Elizabeth

I've made this recipe with with salmon a few times- it works very well- but not with plain cod for the reasons others have mentioned.

I made it with halibut several times. Perfection!!