A question about a recipe: Dorie Greenspan's 3-Ingredient Almond Crackle Cookies

5fadfd52 2c6c 4fab a2ac c2686f94ef4b  2017 0124 dorie greenspan 3 ingredient almond crackle cookies james ransom 224

I have a question about the recipe "Dorie Greenspan's 3-Ingredient Almond Crackle Cookies" from Genius Recipes. Do you think it would be possible to sub honey for the sugar?

asked by Emily over 1 year ago

MMH
MMH

Why do you want to do that?

MMH
MMH

I just noticed that your tag is sugar free. Sugar is sugar whether it's granular, honey or fructose.

Typically, when you substitute honey for sugar in a recipe, you also lower the amount of liquid. There's no liquid in this recipe, so I can't imagine you'd get a texture you were happy with.

In the short run you will get better results using a cookie recipe that already has honey & where someone else has done the recipe testing and refining.
But if you like this recipe and want use honey, research how to covert from one sweetener to another & make a test batch. Then taste and enjoy, or revise as needed.

Hi Emily, I haven't tried this with honey, and while it may not be the same, it's hard to imagine those 3 ingredients turning into something terrible. It takes so little time to stir together, it's no big risk. (Do use parchment though, so clean-up is easy.) Please report back if you do try it!

cranberry

I'd go look up a macaroon recipe that uses honey vs one that uses sugar and see how they compare, then adjust this recipe accordingly.

E
E

In a recipe with such few ingredients, the sugar plays a vital role in creating structure so if you sub out the honey (a liquid that doesn't tend to turn crisp with the addition of heat) for the sugar (solid that melts in the oven, but then solidifies again once cool), so I don't think you would end up with a crackle cookie. It would still taste good with the honey, I'm sure, but it would likely not have a standard cookie like structure / would fall apart if you tried to eat it like a cookie.