A question about a recipe: Garlicky Smothered White Beans on Toast

32730216 0efa 4ede 9935 84922f9f03fc  5qrihqlk4dkaxlyqhnltfjxknrb0fy1cnzjpc18gsda hrsaxfm1o9wulgjentnrycqguyow xiokpjzclxci2c

I have a question about the recipe "Garlicky Smothered White Beans on Toast" from Gena Hamshaw. Canned beans instead of dried - how many cans should I use instead of 1lb dried?

asked by WasteNada over 1 year ago

I found this conversion online and hope it helps.

A standard can of beans is 15 ounces. Small bags of beans you get at the store are usually 1 pound, but sometimes 2.

1 15-ounce can of beans equals
1/2 cup dry beans, before cooking
1 1/2 cups beans, after cooking

Another way to think of it is to replace the food values of the dried beans with those of an equivalent amount of canned (cooked) beans.
Approximately 5 cans of 15 oz (or 5 cups) great northern beans replace the food values (calories, protein, carbohydrate) of 1 lb (2 cups) dried.

Sorry, that should be two and a half 15-oz cans, to give 5 cups cooked (canned) beansm