A question about a recipe: Anna Jones' Amazing Lemon Cannellini Cake

5a36440e dfe7 4fac ab62 d4fe64493378  2016 0822 anna jones white bean cake mark weinberg 144

I have a question about the recipe "Anna Jones' Amazing Lemon Cannellini Cake " from Sarah Jampel. Do you think I could successfully double this recipe and bake it in a 9x13 pan to feed a crowd?

asked by Emily Stapley over 1 year ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Based on Alice's great post on converting baking pan sizes (https://food52.com/blog...), I think it should work! But if you feel like you have too much batter, I'd leave it off (siphon it into a muffin tin!) rather than forcing it into the pan, if that makes sense. Also, I suspect it may take longer to cook—but check at the 30-minute mark to be sure! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Emily Stapley

I have a really nice 9x13" pan with tall 3" sides and the batter doubled fit into it perfectly. The cake rose just to the top edge and domed just a bit. I had to cook it for about 55 minutes to get it to set in the middle. The outside edges were fairly dark because of this, but not burnt. Everything went really smoothly until I tried to take it out of the pan to cool on a rack. Now I know why you recommend a springform pan for this cake. It does not transfer well. So sad.

If you ever need such a large cake again & aren't discouraged, line the sheet pan with wax or parchment paper (buttered & floured) or silicone mat(s). Removal should be much easier.

Emily Stapley

I did (I always) use a buttered and floured parchment liner in the bottom of the pan for easy removal-- you can even see it in the picture I think. Sticking to the pan wasn't the problem. It's a VERY delicate cake. As soon as it was turned out it fell apart. Springform is definitely the way to go with this cake. I will try again sometime (in a springform pan as recommended) and let you know how it goes. The cake still tasted pretty good even though it doesn't look pretty anymore. I kept the pieces, and may make them into trifle. When life gives you lemons (or hunks of cake)...

Emily - yes, parchment is there. I missed it 1st time bc I was looking at crumbled cake. So, nothing helps. Back to spring form (and trifle). Enjoy :)