🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Persian Chicken Stew in Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce (Fesenjan)

480a6f39 a30b 400e b11c 8d2f62b1c937  fesenjan

I have a question about the recipe "Persian Chicken Stew in Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce (Fesenjan)" from Beautiful, Memorable Food. I made this for dinner last night, and unfortunately my husband and I didn't like it at all. It just tasted like pomegranate and walnuts to me, kind of lacking the strong savory backbone I expected from the chicken. Now I have a ton of it leftover and really don't want it to go to waste - any ideas on how I could revamp the leftovers into something new and delicious?

asked by Danielle 8 months ago

C3530c17 ce9c 45b2 9755 cac310550f38  pi day 2015

I would take out the chicken and rinse it off, and use the meat in something else: a casserole, chicken salad, or some other saucy thing like a curry or something where the previous flavors wouldn't be as apparent?...maybe some of the sauce could be added to flavor a pot of grains where the flavor wouldn't be as strong? Or use some of the sauce as part of a salad that uses walnuts in the dressing, like a Georgian kidney bean salad, I think the flavor profiles might be similar?

Eef4af40 f67e 4d1a 8c66 e0a8a8a78443  red rose 320868 640

Thank you for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of rinsing off the chicken. THANKFULLY, though, I discovered that I liked the dish cold, on its own, after it sat overnight in the fridge, so I didn't end up having to do anything else with it. Phew!

You guys may just not like this flavor combo.
If so, go with Liz D advice to separate the leftover chicken and sauce.
If you want to amp up the sauce, consider adding garlic, lemon or orange juice, parsley or fresh coriander, sumac when reheating.

i don't have a recipe, but my fav dish to order at a defunct restaurant was the lamb in pomegranate/walnut sauce. it was so good and it seemed to have had some dairy in it too....yogurt or sour cream. there wasn't a huge amount of sauce served with the rice but it was just tremendous. i don't recall it being overly heavy in one taste or another.

I have never made this recipe, but I do love Fesenjan. However I can't imagine it as a sauce for chicken, It would be too aggressive for chicken's mild flavor. I've always had duck fesenjan.