A question about a recipe: Spiced Spring Vegetable and Coconut Polenta

D01c1f13 7da0 46fd 867c 48f7fdbe6e99  vibrant india spiced spring vegetable and coconut polenta

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Spring Vegetable and Coconut Polenta" from Chitra Agrawal. The dal are not cooked, apart from frying? The urad dal I found seems like it could crack a tooth if it wasn't boiled. Am I missing something?

asked by Stephanie B. over 1 year ago

Megan Hornbeak

You're not missing anything. I've made a recipe that called for the same thing and what happened is that the dal became nice and toasty and added a firm textured bite to the dish. They won't be soft but should give enough that you won't break a tooth.

Stephanie B.

Thanks for that info! I now have a giant bag of urad dal to use up so next time I'll give toasting a try.

Panfusine

the urad dal becomes crunchy and adds a nice nutty flavor (and the consistency of perhaps toasted almond, but much tinier of course)and since its very sparsely added, negligible chances of cracking a tooth!