🔕 🔔

Anyone have a homemade pasta recipe (dough) for a manual pasta machine?

I just purchased the Marcato Atlas 150 Wellness Pasta Machine (based on a Cook's Illustrated recommendation). It is a manual pasta machine. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe that might work well using my new gadget? Also, any tips for making pasta at home would be appreciated. Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked 7 months ago

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

I have one for semolina and egg pasta (not my recipe, and I can't remember where I got it).
-2c flour
2c semolina flour
-6 eggs
-2 tbsp olive oil
-salt (no mention of how much, I usually eyeball it).
-Mix flours and salt in a bowl. On a counter/flat surface, pour out flours and form into mound, and make a large hollow. Add eggs and oil to the hollow in the flour, and whisk gently until it's difficult to do with a fork. Then knead by hand until smooth and supple, about 10min. Let rest covered in plastic wrap at room temp for 30min. Roll out and shape to fit your pasta machine. Depending on the shape, cooking time varies a lot, I have 1-8min. Drain and serve.
Notes: No pasta I have ever made only cooks 1 min, mine are more like 8-10. Sample them as they cook to get a better idea of cooking time. Since it's an egg pasta, they expand quite a bit. They are also pretty filling, and have a lot of flavor, so I like to pair them with simple sauces (not in season, but a simple kobacha squash, brown butter sage and walnut sauce is amazing with these). If anyone has a non-egg/regular pasta recipe I'd love to try it!

Oh I forgot: it can get a little messy in the flour/egg mixing on counter stage. I think it's kind of fun. But if you're not into that I don't see why you couldn't do it in a bowl or mixer.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

There are pasta recipes for different applications. You can do a simple flour and water pasta, you can add olive oil to that, a pasta with eggs, a pasta with egg yolks, pasta with all 5....I encourage you to find a few different reliable recipes.

My basic egg pasta is always a ratio of 3 parts flour to 2 parts egg. So I crack an egg (or however many I plan on using) into a large bowl and add 1.5 times the weight of flour. Mix it all together by hand (or in a food processor as many do), and knead gently until its smooth. Wrap it and let it rest for a half an hour. You can enhance it from there, really by feel. I always season mine with a pinch of salt, but you can add cracked pepper, chile flake, a pinch of nutmeg, finely chopped herbs, cocoa powder (yes, cocoa), etc.

When I use the manual pasta machine, I always start on the lowest setting, then I fold the pasta over and send it through on the same setting before turning the setting down. Take it down to whatever setting you desire, but for basic fettuccine, I take it down to 2. I usually only take it to 1 for filled pasta.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

I don't use a recipe- like bread dough, it's really a matter of feel- but I would like to emphasize the importance of a good rest period; it takes time for the flour to completely hydrate- the dough should feel a bit stiff before resting, but will relax a lot. I think it's best to stick to soft flour for handmade pasta (AP, or Italian 00 if you're feeling extravagant), though I have used bread flour, and the difference wasn't that great. It's not a complex structure, and it's easy to make additions for flavor. I make a noodle for Stroganoff, for instance, that contains flour, egg, olive oil, sherry, paprika and salt- it behaves much like plainer pastas.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

I've had great success with the recipe from 'The Geometry of Pasta' by Jacob Kenedy and Caz Hildebrand. To make pasta for about 3-4 people: 2.6 oz all purpose flour (8 1/2 Tbs), 4.4 oz semolina (3/4 c. plus 2 tsp) and 2 large eggs. Knead together until smooth, cover and let rest 30 min. Cut into eights or so to roll out, have extra flour for dusting to prevent sticking. The dough will seem dry but don't be tempted to add more water (voice of experience here :-0). Roll into sheets then cut into shapes promptly, otherwise the sheets dry out too much and they'll crumble. If you have a pasta rack, great! Otherwise drape a cotton dish towel (not terry) over the back of a chair and gently drape the cut pasta over that.
FWIW, homemade pasta makes the best "I think I died and went to heaven" lasagne. No need to use the cutting blade or precook the pasta...just cut the strips crosswise to fit your pan while you're layering.
I'm starting to get hungry...

For the all purpose, I've used 00, but it can be pricey and hard to find.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I'm surprised your Marcato did not come with an instruction booklet with basic recipes. Usually they include such things. Also, the Marcato website would likely have suggested recipes.

Anyhow, here's my basic pasta recipe, my adaptation of one that I found at Serious Eats.

280 g flour
2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk (I use large eggs)
4 g salt (1 teaspoon)
ice water as necessary

For the flour, I've used all-purpose or 00. A couple of times, I've used a combination, usually when I run out of 00. I've also made a version that includes 20% organic spelt flour for a slightly more rustic noodle.

If I recall correctly, one thing I learned somewhere (probably Serious Eats) was that today's chickens are laying eggs that have a different ratio of yolk to white than chickens laid forty years ago. I believe this had to do with today's practice of having younger laying hens. The end result is old recipes that include eggs behave a little differently these days (and not just pasta).

Maybe that's not so critical for something like pasta dough, but it certainly is for some baked goods.

There's also the aesthetic factor. That's primarily why I add an extra yolk. American hens lay relatively pale eggs as compared to what the eggs you'd get in Europe. Some of the egg pasta you find on grocery store shelves look downright sickly. But that's just me...

I make my dough the old fashioned way: a pile on the counter, make a well in the center, and the eggs and just mix with my hands, no machine. You get a better understanding of the dough and what consistency you are looking for when you knead manually.

The resting part is important and because of my schedule, I often make the dough the day before I plan to roll it out (plastic wrap, goes in fridge).

A couple of other thoughts.

I occasionally roll out the dough into sheets, but don't use the pasta machine's cutter rolls. I roll up the sheet into a loose roll, then cut with a knife. This results in some variation in width, for a more rustic aesthetic. I won't throw away the rough edges on the sides. Looks more like a pasta that grandma would serve, not something you'd get at a restaurant. I find that sometimes a pristine product -- the type of look so popular on Instagram -- is not always what I want.

It's worth lubricating the machine's gears occasionally. I use a neutral vegetable oil.

I often make a larger batch, then freeze individual portions as loose rolls/bundles. Don't defrost, just drop the frozen bundle directly into the boiling cooking water, cooks about the same amount of time as the freshly-rolled out stuff.

There are enough pasta cookbooks on this planet to sink twenty battleships, there's plenty of other recipes, suggestions, etc. Remember that for centuries, people have been make noodles without recipes, so don't fret about finding the One Perfect Recipe.

Recipes are good for institutions (restaurants, armies, hospitals, commercial manufacturing) that require volume, speed and consistency. Recipes are less valid for households which is why cookbooks for homemakers have not been around for very long.

The point about the eggs is very important- the guidelines I originally learned pasta from ran to something like an egg per cup of flour, and I struggled mightily to make that come out- just not happening with modern eggs, more like 2 per cup. Not only the size of the eggs, but the moisture content and ratio of fat can vary hugely- the eggs I occasionally get from a friend's backyard chickens are apparently from a different world than even the best supermarket eggs.

This is how I do it.
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Here'sthe Serious Eats article

http://www.seriouseats...

It's a good read, lots of experimentation behind it.

It's important to experiment yourself as everyone's palates are different and ingredients differ. In the end, it's most important to put what *YOU* like on your dinner table.

In my case I experimented with Niki's recipe but found the pasta to be too eggy for my tastes (which would be 2 whole eggs + 4 yolks) so I eventually ended with 2+1 (sometimes I add an extra yolk).

For sure, play around with different doughs, noodles are cheap.

Unsurprisingly there is a basic pasta recipe on Marcato's website

http://www.marcato.it/en...

I've never tried this one, but I'm guessing it will provide a satisfactory dough.

Marcella Hazan's basic recipe from Classic Italian Cooking and repeated after that.
But/and agree witg Smaug...making pasta, like making bread, is a matter of feel and experience. So make one recipe several times (3-4) to see if you like it and it woeks for you. If not, try another.

Ccdf44a6 8626 4428 8d79 7435e28f1e4a  img 0075

I love making pasta and I agree completely with the NAncy. The more you do it and have fun with it the better your pasta will be-

Looking a little more at the Marcato recipe, it is basically one egg per 100 g of flour. Since my "recipe" calls for 2 whole eggs + 1 yolk for 280 g flour, they are definitely in the ballpark. The main difference is the addition of salt in my dough, something the Marcato recipe explicitly says to omit. The way the ratios work out, my "recipe" puts a slightly greater weight on the egg yolk.

I have an Imperia pasta machine, a company founded six years earlier than Marcato/Atlas. On their site, you can download a recipe booklet/instruction manual that has a basic recipe that calls for 350 g flour and 3 whole large eggs, again within the ballpark of what I am doing. Curiously, like the Marcato recipe, the Imperia recipe also does not contain salt. I just check my Imperia box, the same recipe booklet is there; I bought my pasta machine 20-25 years ago, so the recipes in the booklet are probably even older.

The Imperia English language recipes are a straight translation from the Italian original, no change in measurements, they actually call for 00 flour.

Neither pasta machine manufacturer's recipe includes additional oil. Fat is already a component of egg yolk, not sure why any extra needs to be added, something Niki Achitoff-Grey points out in her Serious Eats article (and at a certain point, a detriment to successful pasta).

Again, this reiterates that recipes are mere starting points, not gospel. Likely, the pasta machine manufacturers' recipes are based on Italian ingredients which are somewhat different than American ingredients.

Anyhow, we can post basic pasta recipes until Armageddon, but the real learning starts when you start making batches of pasta dough, not how many books and articles you read.

If you've gotten this far after reading all the comments above, I suggest you shut off your computer, roll up your sleeves and get to work.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Thank you to everyone for your ideas and input! I ended up making the recipe from the Serious Eats website. In my opinion it worked so well because the ingredients were by weight and not by measurement.

69dd48af 72e2 4a92 ae52 642dae8fb773  2 21 2017 carving the melon

EXACTLY!