A question about a recipe: Molly Yeh’s Dark Chocolate Marzipan Scone Loaf

8449919c d371 42f2 a1a6 6a54543df689  2017 0509 genius scone loaf james ransom 553

I have a question about the recipe "Molly Yeh’s Dark Chocolate Marzipan Scone Loaf" from Genius Recipes. Where does one find marzipan? I love it but am not familiar with it as a baking ingredient. I have seen almond paste in stores I think. IS there much diference?

asked by caninechef over 1 year ago

You can find marzipan at upscale grocery stores in major metropolitan areas, perhaps Whole Foods as well. Of course, you can find marzipan at Amazon.com.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You can make marzipan too. Google came up with a variety of options. There is a slight difference in flavor (marzipan is generally much sweeter), but I think in this application, almond paste should work. Marzipan if often used to cover cakes as one would fondant, and to make little edible figurines. So they are not interchangeable in those applications. But as a little nugget inside of a pastry, I think I might almost prefer the subtlety of almond paste?

Here's a recipe for marzipan using almond paste, https://www.thespruce.com/marzipan-521098

JaniceB

I made this cake yesterday and will likely use almond paste next time. Marzipan is has more sugar than paste and a smoother texture, but I'd wager that difference will be slight in this cake.

JaniceB

caninechef

Thanks for the comments. I do plan to make this cake, not sure when, but based on comments I think I will just go with the almond paste.