A question about a recipe: Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce

I have a question about the recipe "Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce" from Deborah Davis. Is there a possible substitute for the cornstarch? Maybe arrowroot? Trying to make for a corn-allergic partner.

Deb92caa 94d5 4c6c 894f fb834bee3630  2016 04 09 15 56 11
  • Posted by: marmar
  • May 17, 2017
Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce
Recipe question for: Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce

PieceOfLayerCake May 17, 2017
You don't technically NEED the cornstarch in there....if you just add the sugar verrrry slowly and you don't overbake the pavlovas, you'll get the same effect. The shelf life will be diminished, but if you make day-of, you should be happy with the result.

When substituting starches in recipes, think of what you're trying to accomplish and that will help you with a substitute. You're not thickening anything here so other "thickeners" might not be suitable, but pretty much any other plant starch should work here. I would just choose something that doesn't have a bold flavor. Potato starch would be my suggestion.

C S. May 17, 2017
This is the first thing that popped up when I googled your question. http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/cooking-questions/constarch-substitutes
With a corn allergic partner you might want to develop a list of alternatives for corn in all its forms.
Good luck.

eakesin May 17, 2017
Could you try tapioca or potato starch?