A question about a recipe: Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce

6c5eec0c 261a 4d28 9f23 59a85040ef66  pavlova with blueberry sauce food52 mark weinberg 14 08 12 0188

I have a question about the recipe "Pavlova with Boozy Blueberry Sauce" from Deborah Davis. Is there a possible substitute for the cornstarch? Maybe arrowroot? Trying to make for a corn-allergic partner.

asked by marmar over 1 year ago

eakesin

Could you try tapioca or potato starch?

C Sangueza

This is the first thing that popped up when I googled your question. http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/cooking-questions/constarch-substitutes
With a corn allergic partner you might want to develop a list of alternatives for corn in all its forms.
Good luck.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You don't technically NEED the cornstarch in there....if you just add the sugar verrrry slowly and you don't overbake the pavlovas, you'll get the same effect. The shelf life will be diminished, but if you make day-of, you should be happy with the result.

When substituting starches in recipes, think of what you're trying to accomplish and that will help you with a substitute. You're not thickening anything here so other "thickeners" might not be suitable, but pretty much any other plant starch should work here. I would just choose something that doesn't have a bold flavor. Potato starch would be my suggestion.