🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Italian or French Plums in Brandied Coffee Syrup

9d3e4119 8484 42dc 9549 d0a178db1dbe  2015 0804 how to use plums simmered in coffee and brandy bobbi lin 6041

I have a question about the recipe "Italian or French Plums in Brandied Coffee Syrup" from Alice Medrich. Any suggestions what to substitute the plums with?

asked by Ana 5 months ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

The simplest substitutions for plum would be hybrids or crosses like pluots, apriums, and plumcots. Apricots would be another candidate as they are in the same subgenus.

Drifting a little farther away would be other stone fruits such as peaches and nectarines (which are actually the same species although commercially considered different fruit).

Even farther away would be cherries which are still in the same genus (Prunus) but like peaches and nectarines in a different subgenus.

I've cooked with all these fruit before although not this particular recipe. My guess is if you use apriums, pluots, or plumcots, you will have an end result that is the most faithful to the original recipe.

Good luck.