I added a Beurre Manié to thicken my soup and it didn't work. What did I do wrong?

I often make homemade soup using stock from saved chicken bones, aromatics, and discarded vegetables. Today I made chicken soup with vegetables. I wanted to thicken the stock to change things up a bit. Some time ago I learned how to use a Beurre Manié as a thickener. For whatever reason it didn't thicken the soup after bringing it to a boil. Any thoughts about what I did wrong? Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked over 1 year ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm not a fan of a beurre manie to thicken soups/sauces/gravies since it usually takes a lot more flour than I like for it to be effective. You also don't get much of a chance to cook out that raw flour taste in that environment. I read somewhere once (I can't remember the source) that a beurre manie often takes up to an hour to work properly. The only times I now use a beurre manie over a roux is if I make a last minute decision to thicken a soup/sauce/gravy or if I want extra thickening.

The only thing I can think of is that you either didn't use enough, or you didn't cook it long enough to completely thicken. Flour needs higher temperatures than other thickeners like cornstarch to fully activate.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thank you. I appreciate your ideas as to what could have gone wrong. What is your process for making a roux to thicken a sauce and what ratios do you use?

Exbruxelles

I agree. I don't have the patience for beurre manie to thicken soups and I almost always use a roux with equal parts butter and flour. I usually add a liquid--either stock from the soup or, if it's a festive thing, cream. You can then strain the sauce and you won't have to deal with lumps.