A question about a recipe: Rich Chocolate Cake with Coconut Filling and Ganache

8af2eb9c 9407 49ea 8dc5 b5dfedf2a743  2017 0518 rich chocolate cake with coconut filling and ganache bobbi lin 11343

I have a question about the recipe "Rich Chocolate Cake with Coconut Filling and Ganache" from nannydeb. what is a substitute for shortening?

asked by chrisanthe goldie bacogiannis over 1 year ago

This does sound delicious and decadent. Since the shortening is melted with a portion of the chocolate (rather than creamed with the sugar), you could use coconut oil, or probably even a vegetable oil in place of the shortening. You could also use butter.

chrisanthe goldie bacogiannis

Thank you Lisanne, I will use your suggestion.

nannydeb

I've had success with both coconut oil and butter as well.

Same volume of oil, already suggested, or animal fat if you use it, though more often used in pastry than cakes.
Probably need 1.25x butter compared to the oil volume in original recipe because the butter is about 1/5 water.

chrisanthe goldie bacogiannis

Thank you Nancy