A question about a recipe: Cockeyed Cake with Maggie’s Sugar Topping (Wacky Cake, Crazy Cake, Dump Cake)

I have a question about the recipe "Cockeyed Cake with Maggie’s Sugar Topping (Wacky Cake, Crazy Cake, Dump Cake)" from Jessica Reed. What is "the sling"

• Posted by: Billie
  • June 22, 2017

SMSF
SMSF June 22, 2017

It's described in Step 1 of the recipe. It's the parchment paper that you line the pan with and later use to lift the baked cake out of the pan.

AntoniaJames June 23, 2017

The photo is a bit confusing, because it doesn't look at all as one would think it it should. Pull off from a roll of parchment a piece that is 8"wide. If you are not using a roll, cut a rectangle that is 8" wide and 12 - 13 inches long. Put a few dabs of butter on the bottom and two opposite sides of the square pan to help the paper stick. Lay the paper across so the two ends come up and over the sides on which you put butter. Press the paper into the pan and then butter the paper and unlined sides of the pan.

Hope this helps. ;o)

P.S. I'd like to understand why the paper in the photo looks the way it does.