Food ideas for 4th of July outdoor concert - Tanglewood

I need ideas for food that can safely stay out for a few hours while watching a concert and fireworks show. My ideas so far: baguette, salami, cheese, olives, nuts, and pickles. Recipes for salads, not mayo based, would be appreciated. Additionally, I thought homemade cookies or brownies might be nice for dessert. Thank you for any menu ideas or outdoor concert wisdom you might share!

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 28, 2017
I've made this potato salad for a couple of years now - no mayo. Tasty, easy to prepare & filling.
https://food52.com/recipes/28744-roasted-potato-salad-with-mustard-walnut-vinaigrette

Inko June 28, 2017
Pan Bagna is a sandwich meant to be left sitting around. It is delicious on a picnic. It means " soaked bread". You hollow out a loaf of bread and fill it with a dressing, tuna, greens,olive etc. and slice it at the picnic. Epicurious has recipes for it.

luvcookbooks June 27, 2017
Potato salad with an oil and vinegar dressing. Tandoori spiced roasted chicken in a cooler. Sandwiches made during the picnic. Tomato salad made during the picnic. Tomato slices w herbs and olive oil and a little crumbled feta w some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Kale salad, even though it is no longer au courant, travels well. I love pie for a picnic, but brownies, cookies, and sliced fruit would also be delicious. Another cooler with water, seltzer, wine and juice. Lots of napkins. Sounds wonderful! Oh, and a good ham for sandwiches, and olives.

ChefJune June 26, 2017
I like to pack a cooler and include cold chicken - either roasted or fried. For me that's quintessential picnic food. I would also do a Nicoise style potato salad (no mayo in the dressing). Here's a link to the potato salad recipe. https://food52.com/recipes/23169-nicoise-potato-salad-with-tiny-green-beans-and-spinach

Voted the Best Reply!

My F. June 25, 2017
If I were packing a picnic it would hands down be Fried Chicken, Pasta w/ pesto, pickled things, fruit and vegetables. Pesto and fried chicken both taste best (i think) at room temperature and can be done a day or two before. (They are both great with sparkling wine as well, if that's allowed/of interest to you.)

Also, it's been many years since I saw a concert at Tanglewood but I know they definitely have food for sale there, including whole picnic baskets you can order ahead for. I'm sure they are not cheap, but would be easy if you're really worried.

Nancy June 25, 2017
Watermelon, cucumber, feta and cilantro. Slice the melon and cukes, use as sandwich fillings or toppings. Or cube the produce, add vinaigrette at last minute at site and call it salad (not earlier or the watermelon dissolves).
Dessert...stars and stripes frosting on cupcakes, or an American-flag cake in a lasagna pan. Sparklers (if allowed, and not coals to Newcastle).

702551 June 24, 2017
I am not a fan of preassembled sandwiches, especially in warm weather. You'd be better off bringing the ingredients separately and doing final assembly on site.

A lot of Japanese food can be safely consumed as picnic items. For example, part of the logic behind adding vinegar to sushi rice was to delay spoilage; Japan was a rural country for centuries, did not have reliable refrigeration and their summers are notoriously hot and humid. The Japanese are huge on pickles as well as cooked/dried/treated items (fish, poultry, meat, etc.).

Not sure if you care to eat Japanese food since your original post makes no reference to any Asian options (or any other non-Western options for that matter).

Assuming you can bring in insulated containers/bags, I don't see why you can't add menu items such as cold roasted chicken or dishes like a vinegar-based potato salad.

Again, there's that vinegar thing showing up. Maybe people around the globe figured this out centuries ago...

Cookies and brownies are a good dessert option, although I always look first to fresh fruit. But that's just me...

Good luck.

scruz June 24, 2017
my favorite sandwiches which would probably work are avocado and jack cheese. choose whatever bread/roll/pita you like with some lettuce, sprinkling of thin slices of red onion. a couple of different salads (i like lentil in vinegrette with carrot/onion/olives scattered with feta crumbles or pasta salad in vinagrette with artichoke hearts) and some sliced fruit (watermelon, strawberries, peaches etc. whatever is available). have a great time!

scruz June 24, 2017