A question about a recipe: Grilled Fennel Flatbread with Olives and Sultanas

I have a question about the recipe "Grilled Fennel Flatbread with Olives and Sultanas" from Girl Farm Kitchen. I'd like to bring this dish to a dinner at a friend's home. Would the dough be ok to travel? Or would it be better to cook at home, hours before it would be eaten?

• Posted by: JB
  • July 1, 2017

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. July 1, 2017

I think it would be fine, especially since it needs a two hour rise (which the recipe says has some wiggle room). As long as it's properly covered and your car isn't super hot, I don't see why this would be a problem. I drove to a friend's house an hour away once with focaccia shaped in a baking tray with no problems. As long as you can shape and pan it at your friend's, and maybe have the toppings prepped and ready to go for when you arrive I think the dough should travel fine.

JB
JB July 1, 2017

Thanks so much for your quick response!

PieceOfLayerCake July 1, 2017

Mix the dough as instructed and form into a nice taut ball, proof it for the 2 hours. I would then eliminate the second bench proof and just shape it into your pan after the initial rise. Then, quickly chill the dough in the fridge. Once chilled all the way though, wrap it completely but loosely in plastic and keep cold until you're ready to leave. That should keep it somewhat inactive for the journey. Make sure your ride is air conditioned and once you get to your destination, top it and bake it. If it rose at all during the trip, you can either roll with that and just dimple it while topping (for something more focaccia-esque), or you can degasse completely for something more akin to the recipe.

PieceOfLayerCake July 1, 2017

The site cut off my introduction for some reason....

I think you could probably get away with making this completely at home and just refreshing it in the oven at your friend's house. But, if you're intent on ultra freshness of product (a drive from which I suffer as well ;)), I would do most of it at home and a little bit there. You might end up with something slightly different, but it'll be delicious. There is no final rise after shaping, which makes this "flat"bread....but a short final rise won't hurt the product. It'll give you something a bit more focaccia-esque (which Stephanie mentioned earlier), but that's not a bad thing.

JB
JB July 1, 2017

Thanks for your response!