A question about a recipe: Suzanne Goin's Slow-Cooked Cavolo Nero (a.k.a. Tuscan Kale)

07fef362 12b0 4475 bf16 8e5ea0d5bbcd  2016 0209 slow cooked kale suzanne goin genius recipe james ransom 149

I have a question about the recipe "Suzanne Goin's Slow-Cooked Cavolo Nero (a.k.a. Tuscan Kale)" from Genius Recipes. I have a ton of Red Russian Kale from my farm share. Would this work the same as Cavola Nero? I also have a ton of Swiss Chard. Do you think substituting (or even using half and half) would work?

asked by lgoldenhar about 1 year ago

Prathima

It would definitely work. You'll get a different flavor profile if you use Swiss chard, and the chard is likely to break down a little more, but the general technique will still work.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Red Russian kale is usually more tender than Tuscan kale, so you might omit the blanching step and/or braise it for less time. The same (but more so) goes for the chard.