🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Blood Orange Macarons with Blood Orange Buttercream Filling:

116d0270 62da 439c b8c3 4bf7347aa36e  img 0319 1

I have a question about the recipe "Blood Orange Macarons with Blood Orange Buttercream Filling:" from Stacy . I'm noticing that the recipe says "blood orange macarons," but there is no flavoring (not even vanilla!) in the recipe for the macarons themselves - all flavoring is in the buttercream... Does anyone have any suggestions for appropriate flavorings? I don't want to add too much liquid!

asked by Lydia Robins Hendrix 24 days ago

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

The recipe lists dried zest of 1 blood orange is "optional" for the macaron shells.

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Zest should add flavor. Flavoring the macaron cookie can be challenging, because as you mentioned you don't want to add too much liquid. When I flavor my cookies I stick to dry things (zests, matcha powder, cocoa powder, dried lavender) or a little bit of extract, so I think the zest here should work. But since you almost always eat macaron with filling, I wouldn't worry about the cookie being plain - filling can pack a lot of flavor, and even a plain macaron cookie will have a nutty flavor because of all the almond. But if you want ideas on how to pack flavor into these cookies, what about chocolate cookies with orange buttercream? Also, I would make french buttercream, instead of the one listed here. It's more finicky but I think they have more flavor and the added bonus of using up egg yolks.

16f2e59f d995 47c9 9521 36a0f1607a85  20150524 105228

I'd add some vanilla sugar (or another flavoured sugar). If you can't find it in a store, just add a spent/scraped vanilla pod into a small jar of sugar and let it flavour the sugar. In Europe vanilla sugar is used far more often than vanilla extract so you might find it at an import store.

Maybe orange blossom water? It's very intense, so a little goes a long way and would not mess with your proportions.