A question about a recipe: The Best Way to Cook Beets

B87d6e58 7cf4 4d86 afdd 9b7276cd84d3  beets

I have a question about the recipe "The Best Way to Cook Beets" from Amanda Hesser. I have a lot of beets right now. If I roast them all at once, how long will they last in the fridge/freezer?

asked by Janet Chung 11 months ago

They last a week or so in my fridge although I usually notice some quality degradation after about four or five days.

You can freeze roasted beets but their texture will suffer when you defrost them; they get a lot mushier, not something I'd want to serve to guests but edible enough tossed in a salad as part of a brown bag lunch.

The best course of action would be to roast what you can eat in a week. If necessary, you can freeze a couple for convenience, but be aware that the quality level (particularly texture) won't be the same as something that was roasted a day or two ago.

Good luck.

I agree with everything CV said!

Janet Chung

Thanks so much!

You can also simmer some of them till tender, then freeze, or puree first then freeze in ice cube trays (for a cold beet borscht with hot boiled potatoes and sour cream and minced dill); also same preparation for a cold beet/tomato soup. You can also grate the fresh beets in the processor or spiralizer to eat fresh in salads. If I had them in quantity I would divide them up and prep smaller amounts in each of these ways.

Consider pickling some of them; in the fridge they should last at least a month. Can them to extend that to 6 - 9 months.
By the way, did you know that pickled beets are terrific when mixed with roasted beets? This is a trick I picked up from "The Preservation Kitchen" by Paul Virant. I also do this with roasted and quick-pickled cauliflower. Beets and cauliflower get quite sweet when roasted; the pickles provide a nice contrast.
Also, keep in mind that beets should last 2 -3 weeks in your crisper drawer, so there's no real rush to use them all up this today or this week. Dry them well and store in a plastic bag, with at least an inch of the greens' stems left on. ;o)

italiangirl13

boil (can take a while) ... slice.. add fresh garlic (diced), fresh basil , drizzle some olive oil, and a splash of balsamic...