🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: The Best Way to Cook Beets

B87d6e58 7cf4 4d86 afdd 9b7276cd84d3  beets

I have a question about the recipe "The Best Way to Cook Beets" from Amanda Hesser. I have a lot of beets right now. If I roast them all at once, how long will they last in the fridge/freezer?

asked by Janet Chung 3 months ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

They last a week or so in my fridge although I usually notice some quality degradation after about four or five days.

You can freeze roasted beets but their texture will suffer when you defrost them; they get a lot mushier, not something I'd want to serve to guests but edible enough tossed in a salad as part of a brown bag lunch.

The best course of action would be to roast what you can eat in a week. If necessary, you can freeze a couple for convenience, but be aware that the quality level (particularly texture) won't be the same as something that was roasted a day or two ago.

Good luck.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I agree with everything CV said!

36d0da9d fc8c 47a7 a638 a96fa490ed4d  fb avatar

Thanks so much!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

You can also simmer some of them till tender, then freeze, or puree first then freeze in ice cube trays (for a cold beet borscht with hot boiled potatoes and sour cream and minced dill); also same preparation for a cold beet/tomato soup. You can also grate the fresh beets in the processor or spiralizer to eat fresh in salads. If I had them in quantity I would divide them up and prep smaller amounts in each of these ways.

Consider pickling some of them; in the fridge they should last at least a month. Can them to extend that to 6 - 9 months.
By the way, did you know that pickled beets are terrific when mixed with roasted beets? This is a trick I picked up from "The Preservation Kitchen" by Paul Virant. I also do this with roasted and quick-pickled cauliflower. Beets and cauliflower get quite sweet when roasted; the pickles provide a nice contrast.
Also, keep in mind that beets should last 2 -3 weeks in your crisper drawer, so there's no real rush to use them all up this today or this week. Dry them well and store in a plastic bag, with at least an inch of the greens' stems left on. ;o)

boil (can take a while) ... slice.. add fresh garlic (diced), fresh basil , drizzle some olive oil, and a splash of balsamic...