What can I substitute for preserved lemons?

Dc4f378d 9c5f 4bc7 bccc a12dec743a08  pic
  • Posted by: AlainB
  • July 23, 2010

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames July 25, 2010
I'd recommend lightly sauteeing for a minute or two a couple of seeded lemon slices in just a touch of light oil with some salt, then putting it in the oven (in the skillet) for ten to twelve minutes in a moderate oven, adding a pinch of salt and a tablespoon or two of water, to prevent the juices from getting too sticky. Then I'd chop it and use it with the pan juices. Preserved lemon has a somewhat more mellow, less acidic quality than fresh lemon, which is why I would not substitute fresh.

carolz June 3, 2012
I was cooking chicken tajine and couldn't find preserved lemons here in Macon, Georgia (it is the deep south after all) and I used the raw lemon juice for the marinade and then on cooking day I sliced the lemons thinkly and stewed them at the same time as the chicken and the dish was perfect! I am not sure I want to go to the extreme of picking my own lemons or the expense of buying them already done. I think the cooking most definitely sweetened the lemons adding mellow lemon flavoring to my dish.

Merrill S. July 25, 2010
I'd recommend fresh lemon zest and juice (or meyer lemon) and a little extra salt.