A question about a recipe: Leek, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza

I have a question about the recipe "Leek, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza" from Savour. Does this dough make just one pizza? How large? You combine the five balls into one, thus?

• Posted by: Jestei
  • February 20, 2011
0eadc151 5fa3 4ed6 8fc3 b5cde06a2973  5501032159 1f5a2a6bb8 z
Recipe question for: Leek, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza

Savour
Savour February 20, 2011

The dough is enough for 5 individual pizzas, but the toppings are enough for 2 pizzas.

boulangere February 20, 2011

Peter Reinhart was my Breads instructor in culinary school, and I recall his pizza dough as being stretched really, really thin - quite a bit thinner than in the photo. I agree; the instructions are a little ambiguous, but I would guess that he does intend for it to yield 5 pizzas, albeit somewhat small - probably 6 to 8 inches in diameter. I hope this helps you!

RobertaJ
RobertaJ February 21, 2011

My read is 5 small pizzas, or you could divide the dough differently and make one larger one. But you want a thin crust. If you're not going to be cooking all the pizzas at once, pizza dough freezes beautifully. Let the dough rise once, then drizzle a little oil in a small zip bag, put in the pizza dough, and seal. When you're ready to cook it, take it out of the freezer the day before, and toss it in the fridge, still in the bag. Take it out of the fridge about 2 hours before you want to make the pie to let it come to room temp. Then shape, top and bake as normal.