🔕 🔔

I have a can of mushrooms but it says it expired in 2015. Do I dare use it?

asked by Tonga Titcomb 12 days ago

If the top and bottom of the can have not buckled, I would open the can and smell them. If the can looks distended, I would toss it without opening.

Agreed. See attached notes from stilltasty.com
http://www.stilltasty.com...

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I toss anything that is past a year. It may be ok, but I do not want to chance it.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

I have a reputation for never throwing anything away, but in this case, I'd weigh the cost of the can of mushrooms (was it more than $2?) against the potential cost of medical bills (an ER visit usually starts around $300...).
If you are as guilt-ridden as I am about waste, you can compost it. That's usually my solution to plant-based items that have gone off. I feel better if I can at least enrich the soil to grow something else!