A question about a recipe: Lemon Cake with Lavender Buttercream

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Cake with Lavender Buttercream" from Krista Nelson. Would I be able to use lavender essential oil instead of the buds?

8dab6c37 70dd 4e65 9e6a 85c4acbcb99f  fb avatar

Veronica September 14, 2017
Hi Camden, to second Marie, essential oil is significantly more potent than lavender buds so you can use it but I'd use it in much smaller quantities. Something else to consider - you'll be adding oil to a buttercream recipe that wasn't written with that in mind. To make sure your buttercream comes together you may want to modify the recipe slightly - you could compare to a recipe that uses oils like this one: http://blog.gygi.com/blog/2012/08/07/faq-can-i-use-lorann-oils-to-flavor-butter-cream/

Hope that helps!

Marie F. September 14, 2017
That stuff is highly concentrated, so I think it may throw off the flavor of the cake. If the lavender oil is labeled as edible, that would be okay.