A question about a recipe: Lemon Cake with Lavender Buttercream

C21014d2 de9a 489b 9e3c a3fd8457e7e7  lav2

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Cake with Lavender Buttercream" from Krista Nelson. Would I be able to use lavender essential oil instead of the buds?

asked by Camden Johnson about 1 year ago

Marie Frank

That stuff is highly concentrated, so I think it may throw off the flavor of the cake. If the lavender oil is labeled as edible, that would be okay.

Veronica

Hi Camden, to second Marie, essential oil is significantly more potent than lavender buds so you can use it but I'd use it in much smaller quantities. Something else to consider - you'll be adding oil to a buttercream recipe that wasn't written with that in mind. To make sure your buttercream comes together you may want to modify the recipe slightly - you could compare to a recipe that uses oils like this one: http://blog.gygi.com/blog/2012/08/07/faq-can-i-use-lorann-oils-to-flavor-butter-cream/

Hope that helps!