A question about a recipe: Vanilla Porter Rye Bread

E79b94f1 6088 4c5a a0bb cb8da9d48240  2017 0523 breckenridge beer bread bobbi lin 26290

I have a question about the recipe "Vanilla Porter Rye Bread" from Erin McDowell. Any thoughts on how this would taste as a sourdough? I'm wondering if the porter flavor and sourdough would be weird. If it helps, my starter gives a very mild tang to my bread.

asked by Stephanie B. 9 months ago

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

I imagine it could be great! That said, the flavor of the beer in this bread is already on the mild side, so adding sourdough (even a mild one) might overpower it a little bit.

Stephanie B.

Thanks! I might just have to try it out and see.