A question about a recipe: Dal Makhani

9028d737 1fb6 4969 b22a 185c51bc48d6  2016 1019 indian feast mark weinberg 431

I have a question about the recipe "Dal Makhani " from Meera Sodha. What is a good lactose-free substitute for the whole milk in this recipe?

asked by Kate 12 months ago

I have the same problem. no whole milk for me!!! I would use coconut milk instead. It has a similar viscosity to whole milk, and I can't imagine it would hurt the flavor. In fact - I'm thanking you a lot for this question because I've just printed out the recipe and am eager to try it!

Stephanie B.

I think coconut milk sounds good too. But if you were going for a more neutral flavored milk, cashew milk is a good option. I think it's creamier than almond or soy, and has a less grassy/woody taste. Home-made cashew milk is the creamiest, but store bought is good too, as long as it's all cashew and not an almond-cashew blend.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I'm not sure from your question if you're trying to avoid whole milk or just the lactose. But if lactose is your concern, I accidently purchased lactose-free whole milk at Target (Horizon Organic) not long ago and it behaved like regular milk for what I needed. I'm sure it's available at many grocery and other stores.