Favorite bread + spread combination

I'm going to a potluck consisting of snack foods and bites. I'd like to bake a crusty boule bread, but I'm not sure what to serve it with. Personally, I love butter or brie cheese. Thoughts? Whatever I bring will need to be kept at room temperature for 4-plus hours. Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked 8 months ago

Bruschetta with truffles. Coming into season now.

Pierino - and you'll pay for the truffles, yes?

I think not enough people would appreciate truffles. I'd save those for a more intimate dinner party.

First, I'm worried about the 4+ hours. I would split your spread in half and bring out the second half either when the first half runs out or at midpoint of party (aiming for max 2 hours at room temp).
Second, given all the threads here about serving people with various dietary restrictions (for allergies or by choice), I wouldn't serve animal fat as my only choice.
If you want a good vegetarian sauce, consider
*guacamole,
*muhammara (pomegranate walnut),
*salsa verde or other green sauce w/o dairy cheese,
*pb with a sweet-sour sauce (cranberry or chutney)
*artichoke spread made without dairy cheese,
*tapenade,
*pepper jelly on a vegan cream cheese,
*red sauce from Sicily.
Third option, do two sauces at once, and make half the quantities you would plan for one.
Butter & brie on one side, vegan or vegatarian spread on the other.

Sounds like there are going to be a number of other folks bringing food to share. I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to bring something "vegetarian" because there's bound to be other selections... Unless she wants to...

I'd do that Boule, and I'd bring a couple of delicious imported salted butters - Probably Kerrygold (from Ireland) and Beurre d'Isigny (France). Both are almost always on the shelf at Whole Foods, and they give a lot of folks a chance to taste cultured butter that's not widely available in US brands.

Just make sure the butter is at spreadable temperature - and don't worry, it won't spoil in 4 hours or so.

Stephanie B.

A good, home-made rustic bread doesn't need much beyond butter or brie, but that is only my opinion. If that's what you want to bring, I say go for it - ChefJune mentioned good quality Irish butter, or you can make or buy some herb butters if you think just butter is too plain. Bread, brie, and a jam (fig? apricot? I like those with brie) is also an option that lines up with your preference here.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Fig jam, prosciutto, Parmesan cheese

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

I just came home from the potluck. I served my homemade bread with a softened local butter. I live in the Berkshires and we're very fortunate to have a local dairy with Jersey cows. Simple, yet everyone love it. Thanks, for all of your input!

Wonderful!

I agree with Nancy, sounds wonderful!