A question about a recipe: Raspberry and Beet Chèvre

08ce88ad e52d 4066 8b01 65ad8a0e7eb3  2017 0921 driscolls raspberry chevre hero 1 bobbi lin 3772

I have a question about the recipe "Raspberry and Beet Chèvre" from Sarah Owens. Any substitute for pomegranate molasses? Sure this won't be available in Alaska (but we have lots of beets and raspberries!) Perhaps pomegranate juice+regular molasses?

asked by Barbara Berg about 1 year ago

MMH
MMH

Amazon has it.

MMH
MMH

It is the brand I buy in the Middle Eastern Market where I live.

MMH
MMH

Cortas brand

Not molasses...too strong a taste.
If you can't buy (local or mail order), mix some red acidic fruit juice (pomegranate, cranberry or raspberry) with a small amount of viscous sweetener (maple syrup, bland honey, golden or corn syrup).
Please tell us later what you used and how well it worked.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Here's a recipe for homemade pomegranate molasses.
https://food52.com/recipes...

You can try substituting with cranberry juice concentrate.

Similar question was asked, https://food52.com/hotline...

Sarah Owens

Hi Barbara! If you decide not to buy online you can try a few substitutes. The pomegranate molasses provides both a pop of acidity and rich sweetness. Molasses might overpower the raspberries but maple syrup or fireweed honey (if it's plentiful where you live in Alaska) would add some complexity. Either way, a generous squeeze of lemon will help.