🔕 🔔

I'm picking up my turkey Monday, and dry brine it until Thursday. Is that too long?

asked by John Lu 28 days ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I would use 25% less salt and rinse off after 24-36 hours.

Assuming you get home with the turkey Monday evening, dry brine immediately. Then rinse off Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, pat dry with paper towels.

It will still have 24 hours in the fridge to dry out before you shove it into the oven.

4ff775ac 6cd6 448f adcb f0f953b1c6cc  open uri20130113 9949 xpdxs2 0

Thanks for the quick reply. Just read that USDA states that fresh turkey can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two days. This sounds too long for the raw turkey to be refrigerated until Thursday. The Russ Parson recipe says to brine it for 3 days prior. I'm confused.

I'm not spouting the party line, but I ignore the USDA. They have been telling people to overcook pork for decades.

The salt itself inhibits bacterial growth, that's why people have been using salt for millennia.

Salt on raw cabbage becomes sauerkraut. Salt on raw salmon becomes lox. Salt on pig legs becomes prosciutto. I'll stop there.

But if you want to follow the USDA's recommendations, go right ahead.

Hi John.

The dry-brined Judy Bird took the turkey-cooking world by storm a few years ago. Here's a link to Food52's recipe. https://food52.com/recipes....

The Judy Bird is famous and there are a lot of recipes available online. J. Kenji Lopez Alt (Seriouseats.com) has a spatchcocked, dry-brined method which also works well, but I like the herbs in the Russ Parson's version. Note that the Judy Bird is brined for three days. Kenji's recipe offers that option as well.

I've used that recipe ever since it appeared and it is always a moist and delicious success. However, almost every year the turkey has needed less time in the oven, sometimes substantially less.

Have fun!

F8bcab55 ddd5 4fea b957 f93cfd2a9ccd  dsc02631
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

That's perfect! Check the recipe https://food52.com/recipes.... It gives the exact directions.