I'm picking up my turkey Monday, and dry brine it until Thursday. Is that too long?

asked by John Lu 8 months ago

1071292522

I would use 25% less salt and rinse off after 24-36 hours.

Assuming you get home with the turkey Monday evening, dry brine immediately. Then rinse off Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, pat dry with paper towels.

It will still have 24 hours in the fridge to dry out before you shove it into the oven.

John Lu

Thanks for the quick reply. Just read that USDA states that fresh turkey can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two days. This sounds too long for the raw turkey to be refrigerated until Thursday. The Russ Parson recipe says to brine it for 3 days prior. I'm confused.

1071292522

I'm not spouting the party line, but I ignore the USDA. They have been telling people to overcook pork for decades.

The salt itself inhibits bacterial growth, that's why people have been using salt for millennia.

Salt on raw cabbage becomes sauerkraut. Salt on raw salmon becomes lox. Salt on pig legs becomes prosciutto. I'll stop there.

But if you want to follow the USDA's recommendations, go right ahead.

Chocolate Be

Hi John.

The dry-brined Judy Bird took the turkey-cooking world by storm a few years ago. Here's a link to Food52's recipe. https://food52.com/recipes....

The Judy Bird is famous and there are a lot of recipes available online. J. Kenji Lopez Alt (Seriouseats.com) has a spatchcocked, dry-brined method which also works well, but I like the herbs in the Russ Parson's version. Note that the Judy Bird is brined for three days. Kenji's recipe offers that option as well.

I've used that recipe ever since it appeared and it is always a moist and delicious success. However, almost every year the turkey has needed less time in the oven, sometimes substantially less.

Have fun!

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

That's perfect! Check the recipe https://food52.com/recipes.... It gives the exact directions.