A question about a recipe: Charmoula

5797552f 9792 44f0 8b35 dc53d67f705b  2017 0914 delta faucet charmoula hero julia gartland 271

I have a question about the recipe "Charmoula" from Food52. how long will this keep in the fridge? Can it be made several days ahead?

asked by Lace Bencivengo 10 months ago

Susie Stenmark

I’m interested in the answer to this question too as to how long the Charmoula will keep in the fridge. Plus, can I freeze it? Thanks for any answers!

I've made Moroccan chermoula from a couple other recipes which suggest a few days ok in fridge, with a little drop-off in fresh bright taste after first day.
Or freeze about 1 month or so.
Best freeze in ice cube trays or small plastic containers so you can defrost just the amount you want when the time comes.

Susie Stenmark

Thanks so much Nancy - very helpful! I think I will trade off a little loss of fresh bright taste for one less task to complete on the day!

Make it up to two days ahead but do not add acid (lemon juice or vinegar) until immediately before serving - as in 2 - 3 minutes before taking it out to the table. Not only will the charmoula taste brighter, but it's color will be more brilliant, as acids tend to cause green herbs / vegetables to turn brown within a short time. Check for salt before serving, too! ;o)

Yes...good idea to delay the addition of acid to keep the green of the herbs.

Susie Stenmark

Thanks Antonia and Nancy - knew that about the acid re effect on herbs but forgot!