Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

made muffins and they stuck to the papr cases...any way to prevent that?

they turned out yummy...just a lot of them stuck to the paper cases they were in

asked by kevyn almost 6 years ago
Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I find that the aluminum foil muffin cups generally peel back more easily, or perhaps, you could smother the inside of your paper ones with a thin layer of butter?

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

Did you grease them first? I always grease mine to prevent them from sticking. Also letting them cool awhile helps.

Butter the cases that should work

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I place the cups in the tins and then use a canola spray and give a quick spritz in each cup. I recently found out that my mufins turn out s much tastier is I butter each well and skip the liners; they develop a wonderful crust...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

There is a "Pam" type spray product that has a flour in it that works very well. (Pam for baking).
It won't add lots of oil to the muffins, cupcakes, and releases well.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Hmmm. . .the greasing or spraying or buttering of paper/aluminum liners seems a bit redundant, especially to those of us who use them so that we don't have to wash the cupcake pan, a chore that's on the top five list of Things I Hate to Wash.

One reason that muffins stick to paper (and cupcakes don't) is the batter; cupcakes usually contain more fat. Another reason that cupcakes don't stick is because they are served at room temp, but homemade muffins are usually served warm.

Use a recipe specifically formulated for muffins (corn muffins, for instance, typically call for more fat than corn bread, and often call for less sugar). Remove the muffins from the pan immediately after taking them from the oven, and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack to prevent the liners from becoming soggy from steam.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, you'll end up with transcendental muffins (they've become one with the liner), especially if it's a wet batter with sugary whole ingredients such as blueberries or chocolate chips. In this case, throw manners under the table and make like you're eating artichokes -- scrape the muffin off the paper with your bottom row of teeth so that nothing goes to waste.

You could also purchase parchment liners if you have a Smart & Final or Cash & Carry nearby,

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Hello.

I like to leave my muffins naked. If you just grease the tins and pour the batter right in, post-baking they should release from the pan easily unless they have a lot of really moist fruit or something sticky. (The only muffins I have ever had this problem with is pineapple).

When you take them out of the oven, let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then invert the pan onto a clean kitchen towel and lay the muffins on their sides to cool.

You can rest easy knowing you are saving paper :) And the best part is that you get to eat the nice, slightly caramelized and crispy muffin skin that would otherwise get thrown away with the paper.

C87dd727 2b52 437d ab16 ea7575c69c10  muffins