A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup" from Genius Recipes. Could this be done in an Instant Pot? If so, how long would the last cooking stage be for?

• Posted by: Missie
  • December 7, 2017

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 11, 2017

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to this yet Missie. If you've already tried it let us know how it worked out for you in the Instant Pot.

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles December 12, 2017

It's an interesting idea and surely worth trying since all the ingredients are so cheap. I'd saute the onions first, though, before adding the cabbage. And I think the second stage would be 6-8 minutes.

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles December 18, 2017

I tested this over the weekend and making this recipe in an Instapot. I sauteed the onions first and then cooked the cabbage for 30 minutes under pressure. I added stock and rice and cooked for an additional 6 minutes. The result is exactly the same as making it the traditional way, although I suspect Marcella would not have approved....

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 18, 2017

Thanks for reporting back Exbruxelles, glad to hear it worked well for you.

patty@bryce
[email protected] December 29, 2017

Thanks for sharing!

anichila
anichila December 20, 2018

I want to give this a try. Did you add any liquid to the onions and cabbage while under the 30 minutes of pressure? Just wondering whether there would be enough liquid in the cabbage alone for it not to burn in the instant pot.