Does anyone have a killer dessert recipe that serves 8?

I'm going to a dinner party next week and I've been asked to bring dessert. I was thinking I'd make a chocolate trifle, but I'm having second thoughts. Anyone have tips for a chocolate trifle or does anyone have a terrific chocolate recipe that might be a home run even though I've never made it before? Thank you for your help!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked 10 months ago

vraiegourmande

This recipe is my go to for when I need a chocolate cake and I don't want to try something scary.
https://www.davidlebovitz...
It's great served with whipped cream and raspberries (just use frozen ones, defrost them and add a tablespoon of sugar). Also, the recipe calls for a springform pan, but I just use a regular cake pan that I line with parchment and then spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with cocoa (if you use flour, the cake turns white on top). I also wait until the cake completely cools, put it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight and dust the whole think with cocoa before serving. This is a simple, delicious dessert perfect for chocolate lovers. It's also versatile. If you don't have a 9-inch cake pan, a 10-inch one is fine, and you can cut the pieces rather small as it is so rich, so you can get 10-12 servings from it. Inevitably, some people want seconds, so it would be perfect for a dinner party of 8.

Trena - if you and your fellow diners like Black Forest Cake, I have an easy recipe that disappears at grownup birthday and dinner parties. Only one easy baking (chocolate sponge), then indulgent assembly of boozy syrup, two kinds of cherries, chocolate whipped cream, vanilla whipped cream and chocolate shavings. If you like, say and I'll give link or recipe...;)

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Yes, please add the link. Thank you, Nancy!

All credit to late (pastry) Chef Albert Kumin, once of Culinary Institute of America. Recipe not on-line, but thankfully Amanda culled it from files and included in her Essential New York Times Cookbook. Here it is in prose, in case you don't have access to the book.
Make a 10" chocolate sponge cake; when finished, cool & cut horizontally into 3 layers.
Brush bottom layer with some boozy syrup (2/3 cup simple syrup & 1/3 cup Kirsh or other potent not sweet cherry brandy).
Make a chocolate whipped cream (1.5 cups whipped cream folded into combo of 3 oz melted chocolate and 1/3 simple syrup.
Spread half the chocolate whipped cream on bottom layer.
Add middle cake layer. Brush with boozy syrup. Pipe or spoon 3 concentric layers of remaining chocolate cream on bottom cake layer. Place sour cherries (from 1 lb canned or fresh) in between rings of chocolate whipped cream.
Add final cake layer & brush it, too, with boozy syrup.
Make vanilla-flavored whipped cream from another 1.5c cream. Reserve about 1/2 cup for rosettes. Spread whipped cream around outside and on top of cake.
Pipe twelve rosettes of whipped cream around top of cake.
Place one sweet cherry (Bing, Schmidt or Royal Anne) in each rosette.
With vegetable peeler or knife, shave good dark chocolate over top.
Refrigerate until serving (except for car ride to friends). Serve. Eat. Swoon.

One correction: those concentric rings of choc whipped cream do go on MIDDLE layer (not bottom).

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Nancy - Thank you! This sounds delicious!

Jackie

We did this and it's excellent and not to worry about making the homemade caramel...you do not need a candy thermometer and it goes together easily. We decided to put a ring of whole pecans around the top edge to make it a "turtle pie". It was a winner:
https://www.melskitchencafe.com/chocolate-caramel-tart/
Also, my removable bottom tart pan was too big, so we used our springform pan (used to cheesecakes) and it was fine.

Any dessert by Ina! She has many. BB

Marie Frank

Opps! I meant Google it! Ha Ha!

Marie Frank

OMG! I meant oops! I am an idiot. But Ina's cake is soooo good, really.

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

I love tiramisu for large groups. You can make it ahead of time, and it gets better as it sits! There are a lot of great recipes out there, I use this one: https://www.askchefdennis.com/the-best-tiramisu-you-will-ever-make/

This rich chocolate truffle tart from Epicurious.com couldn't be easier; you just simmer butter and chocolate then whisk it into cream and sugar. I often use a good store-bought pie- or chocolate cookie-crumb crust to make it even easier. I serve it with whipped cream and raspberries if available but it's delicious just plain. https://www.epicurious...

cookinginvictoria

We love Smitten Kitchen's layered gingerbread cake (based on a Claudia Fleming recipe) with marscapone whipped cream filling (based on Nancy Silverton's Genius recipe) and sugared cranberries, especially at this time of year. Every time I make it, people rave. It looks spectacular, is both adult and kid friendly and is pretty easy to put together. https://smittenkitchen...

arlene29

I once made an accidental chocolate trifle. It was supposed to be Rachael Ray's almond joy cake (yes, I know, but I'll try anything by anybody if the name is almond joy). But the cake layers were too tender to cut in half so I ended up with thin uneven pieces of cake. So I layered them in a trifle bowl with the coconut pecan filling, whipped cream on top decorated with nuts and shredded coconut. A major hit!

Trena, just out of curiosity, which divine chocolate dessert did you make and how was it received at the dinner party?

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

I made a chocolate trifle dessert. Everybody loved it and it was quite easy to assemble. I had spent the better part of two weeks baking Christmas breads and cookies for friends and family and I was so happy to have a simple dessert to put together last minute.

Liz B

I just made a trifle with coffee "soaked" marble pound cake, raspberries, home made chocolate pudding, whipped cream and shaved bittersweet chocolate. It easily served 8, was light and yummy, and my guests loved it. You hardly need a recipe though but please let me know if you need me to give you some basic proportions.

Miss Karen

GROWN- UP DING DONGS
(Chocolate truffle cakes)
Serves 8

TRUFFLES
4 OZ. BITTER SWEET OR SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE (cut into small pieces)
3 TBSP. HEAVY CREAM
1 TBSP. UNSALTED BUTTER
2 TBSP. FLAVORING OF CHOICE – (Chambord, Grand Marnier, Frangelico,
Vanilla extract etc.)
8 FRESH RASPBERRIES

CAKE
5 OZ. BITTER SWEET CHOCOLATE cut into small pieces
1 1/4 STICKS (5 OZ.) UNSALTED BUTTER cut into small pieces
3 EGGS room temperature
3 YOLKS room temperature
½ CUP WHITE SUGAR
5 TBSP. + 1 tsp. FLOUR

To make truffles: in a double boiler combine chocolate, cream and butter. When almost melted remove from heat and stir until smooth. Stir in flavoring. Refrigerate until it is thick enough to mound on a spoon, stirring occasionally. About 30 minutes. Don’t let it get too hard, it needs to be piped.
Line a baking tray with parchment or wax paper. Scrape mixture into a pastry bag with a #3 tip. Pipe 8 -1 inch mounds onto a tray. Place one raspberry in the center of each and pipe a bit more over the top to enclose the raspberry completely. They will resemble a beehive. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8 oversized muffin cups.

(4 inches wide x 2 inches deep.) Or 1 1/4 cup custard cups. Line the bottoms with wax paper.

CAKE
In a double boiler melt chocolate and butter. It should be very liquid. Cool slightly.
In a large bowl, on high speed beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar until triple in volume, about 5 minutes. Scrape in chocolate mixture. On low speed beat until combined. Fold in flour using a spatula.
Spoon a little batter into each cup and set one truffle on top, do not push it down; cover with remaining batter. Bake until edges begin to pull away from the sides of the cups, 12 - 13 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then invert onto individual plates and remove paper. Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar. Garnish with a few raspberries. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Miss Karen

KAREN’S MIDNIGHT INDULGENCE
Serves 16

½ CUP HAZELNUTS ([email protected] 350F. For 10 minutes. Put them into a dishtowel and rub briskly to remove as much of the skins as possible. Process until finely chopped - not pasty)
3/4 CUP UNSALTED BUTTER
2 CUPS SUGAR
3/4 CUP COCOA POWDER
3 EGGS, lightly beaten
2 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
1 CUP FLOUR
1 ½ CUPS FRESH RASPBERRIES
3-4 TBSP. SEEDLESS RASPBERRY JAM

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease (2) 8 inch pans. Line with foil and grease the foil, then set aside. In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cocoa until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the flour until just blended. Pour into prepared pans. Press the raspberries into the batter. Bake 15-20 minutes or until center is just set. Allow to cool completely. Invert onto a wire rack, remove foil and then invert this onto a plate (so raspberries are on the top.) When baking time is about ½ done, prepare the white ganache.

WHITE GANACHE
1 CUP HIGH QUALITY WHITE CHOCOLATE, finely chopped (Lindt or Callebaut)
3 TBSP. WHIPPING CREAM
½ tsp. VANILLA (or orange or almond) EXTRACT

In a small pan on very low heat melt ½ the chocolate with the cream. Heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir in remaining chocolate and extract until smooth. Keep warm. Ganache is semi firm at room temperature.
Spread warm ganache over cooled brownie. Reserve 2 TBSP. Spread raspberry jam on top of ganache. Repeat the procedure to un- mold remaining brownie onto first layer of brownie. Press to seal (layer cake style.) Prepare chocolate ganache.

CHOCOLATE GANACHE
2 TBSP.WHIPPING CREAM
1 TBSP.BUTTER
½ CUP (2 Oz.) SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE, finely chopped
½ tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT

Mix cream and butter in a pan on low heat until it boils. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and extract until smooth. Return to heat for 30 second intervals as needed to melt chocolate. Keep warm. Spread chocolate ganache over top of brownie. Drizzle with reserved white chocolate ganache and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Let it set. Cut into squares.

* These decadent brownies were a welcome addition to the dessert menu at the
Quechee Inn in Vermont. They serve them warm with ice cream for $7.00 each.