A question about a recipe: Five-Spice Chocolate Sweet Rolls

I have a question about the recipe "Five-Spice Chocolate Sweet Rolls" from Posie Harwood. I only have an 8" round cake pan! What should I do?

8e683a2b 36e6 474e 9b02 0a3e2208e36b  2017 1116 sunspire sweet rolls with chocolate filling sponsored post no product rocky luten 0666
Recipe question for: Five-Spice Chocolate Sweet Rolls

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. December 18, 2017

You can probably still squeeze them in, but they may not expand as much since they won't have as much room to puff out. Maybe try baking one or two of them separately in a muffin or cupcake tin, so those and the ones in the 8" round have space to spread?

Nancy December 18, 2017

Use one of the charts on line comparing volumes of baking pans (KAF, allrecipes, etc.)
And/or - geometry alert - figure the volume of the pans (in cu in or cu cm, convert to cups or ml liquid volume) and then adjust your recipes.
From my charts & calculations, the quarter sheet pan (13x9x1) holds about 7.5c volume, and an 8" round cake pan (2" high) about 8c.
So, doubling the recipe should give you two round 8" cake layers.

Nancy December 18, 2017

Oops! - had the Erin McDowell 5" cake in mind when I was answering. Forget the specific pan recommendation, but yes could evaluate the pans by size.