🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Brisket with Saba, Apricots, and Figs

4886fd56 94e7 4921 883e 33a2d144eef5  2017 1207 brisket with saba 3x2 mark weinberg 316

I have a question about the recipe "Brisket with Saba, Apricots, and Figs" from Valerio Farris. Clarifying question: as I read the recipe, the brisket is uncovered for the first three hours in the oven. Is that correct? Thank you.

asked by The Principal Cook 26 days ago

Maybe Valerio will see this & respond. Or, if he's already on holidays, here are some suggestions.
You're right...the recipe sure reads like that (no covering mentioned).
OTOH, most recipes I've made for a braised brisket, like this one, cover it for most of the baking (3-5 hr) with foil and uncover at the end to give a nice browning or crispness to the outside. I fear if you leave it uncovered 3 hr in oven you will have expensive shoe leather.
So, I would recommend light cover (the foil or a dutch oven with the lid ajar) so you protect the brisket but avoid (inadvertently) steaming it.

2952b175 586d 4f22 a09b 32145fae8cf2  beijing hotpot

My thoughts exactly. Thank you!