A question about a recipe: Short Rib Ragu

4ed782b1 3d11 4b59 bc69 9d446397b896  110111f 356

I have a question about the recipe "Short Rib Ragu" from Minimally Invasive. I will be braising short ribs to serve 8. Since half of the ribs will be on top of the first 4, I need to know how to adjust the amount of liquids and cooking time. Hope for a quick reply!

asked by akrainey 6 months ago

Minimally Invasive

The recipe was written to serve 8-10, so you shouldn’t need to adjust liquid or cooking time. If you’re concerned, you can check it with an hour to go and add some liquid if you think it looks dry.

akrainey

The reason for my confusion is that braises typically call for the meat to be at least partially submerged in the liquid. So...how do you braise 2 layers in a Dutch oven? The lower layer would be covered with liquid and the second (top) layer might be resting above all liquid.

No worries at all as other had replied. The meat will cook, shrink, render its fat and being inside the closed pot will produce enough moisture from the cooking process. This is a great dish and perfect for company. Enjoy!

If you have time, braise in two half batches. After the second batch is done, add the (cooked) first batch back to the Dutch oven and warm up together.

Or do in advance, and let all sit in the dutch oven in the fridge.
These sorts of dishes only get better with a couple days of aging.

Minimally Invasive

I've always stacked ribs in my dutch oven and never had a problem cooking them all in one batch. As Nancy suggested, if you have the time, it's definitely worth it to cook in advance and let it sit in the fridge to remove some of the fat.

akrainey

How would cooking time and volume of liquid be affected (if at all) if I use boneless short ribs?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. While I haven't made this recipe, I've made similar dishes.

Cook it until it is A.) done and B.) reaches the desired consistency. These dishes have some flexibility in their cooking time anyhow because of the nature of ovens, meat piece size, etc.

Best of luck.