🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup

31eb1491 9cfe 4cf6 b5cb 2cc0d31133b7  genius marcellas smothered cabbage and rice soup food52 mark weinberg 6108

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup" from Genius Recipes. Recipe says the smothered cabbage can be frozen, but can the final soup with rice be frozen?

asked by BonEllen 23 days ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

In my opinion, no. I've made this recipe many times and I find it easier to make when I break up the prep work. I make the stock and store it in the refrigerator about 2 days before I want to eat the soup. One day prior to soup day, I saute' the cabbage and refrigerate. That leaves about 20 minutes of cooking and it doesn't seem so daunting. You can also choose to freeze the stock and freeze the sautéed cabbage and finish the soup at a later date. It's a delicious recipe and worth every minute of prep. Best of luck!