🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette

3bae7f05 ba4c 4ede 8e1f d3f112a46e76  2014 0218 genius william alexander 4 hour baguette 745

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Leader's 4-Hour Baguette" from Genius Recipes. Anyone else having issues with getting their yeast-water combo to foam? I used the right temperature of water (within a degree or two), used fresh active dry yeast (worked well with my last loaf of a different type) and wisked like a madman. I'm moving forward without the foam and crossing my fingers.

asked by Bombadil 13 days ago

Thank you for your insights, Antonia.

In the end, I think that I diverged significantly from the original recipe, but that the final product was more than satisfactory. I tried your yeast slurry after rising the dough and before dividing it. It was fairly sticky after adding the extra water, and I had to be pretty generous with the flour as I worked the dough into the larger pre-fold shape. I'm not sure if it rose more because of the added yeast (which did foam with the added sugar) or because I was patient and allowed extra time before handling it again. I also used an egg wash before baking, as well as a modest sprinkling of coarse salt on the tops. The result was very tasty, though the loaves were uncharacteristically dense in the middle. I wouldn't proudly proclaim that I'd made baguettes in the traditional sense. I'll try the recipe again (practice makes perfect!), using a pinch of sugar at the start, hoping to get that airy interior with a thick crust. Overall, I'm happy with the formula and the additional advice. I'll check in again if I need help with the next batch. Thank you!

Joy,
Joe