A question about a recipe: Banana Jam

I have a question about the recipe "Banana Jam " from Emma Laperruque. Think this could be made with Maple Syrup? I am cutting back on refined sugar.

233d9024 6d1d 447a a962 45da31bd3854  2018 0131 banana jam 3x2 rocky luten 025
Recipe question for: Banana Jam

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque February 12, 2018

Hi hcammarata! I haven't tried a similar substitution, but here's where I would start: Very ripe bananas. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/2 cup maple syrup. (Caveat: This might mask the banana flavor.) Substituting in jam is tricky, because it's one of two foundational ingredients (fruit and white sugar, which is neutral in flavor). Has anyone else replaced the sugar in jam before? Curious to hear others weigh in!

hcammarata
hcammarata February 12, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, a mix of white sugar and Maple Syrup is probably the way to go.
.

paizley
paizley February 19, 2018

I like using coconut sugar for the flavor and it won't overpower the banana. I don't like maple syrup or honey for some reason. I don't consume white or brown sugar. Coconut sugar isn't really that much healthier but I prefer it when making jams and jellies. Most of it is given away and I only indulge occasionally (like once a month).

hcammarata
hcammarata February 20, 2018

Thanks! This is a great idea since Coconut Sugar isn't refined.