🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chocolate Olive Oil Mug Cake with Sumac and White Chocolate Chunks

0e7ae05e 1096 46cc 991f 042b53148b96  2018 0215 food52 in 5 5 minute dessert 3x2 julia gartland 6897

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Olive Oil Mug Cake with Sumac and White Chocolate Chunks" from Joanna Sciarrino. Can coconut oil be used instead of the other suggested oils?

asked by Jill 3 months ago

Very flexible recipe per headnote.
If, as author says, other oils work, see no reason why coconut oil shouldn't.

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

Like Nancy said, this recipe is pretty adaptable. I haven't tried it with coconut oil, but I'm sure it will taste great! Just be sure it's melted before you stir it in.

Emmie

This is a side question--is 6 tablespoons of oil right for that recipe? With the amount of flour and sugar it seems like it would make a very loose batter.

Wait for Joanna to reply based on her experience.
But/and I agree with you...sounds high in fat (2:3 ratio fat to flour) where most cake in a mug recipes I like are 1:4 or 1:3 fat to flour.
Maybe make two versions side by side and decide which you prefer...