A question about a recipe: Make Your Own Avocado Caesar

36bec017 8f23 4c15 a8d5 87bcd5f55939  food52 09 25 12 8956

I have a question about the recipe "Make Your Own Avocado Caesar" from inpatskitchen. I did everything right and when I stop the mini processor the dressing looks fine but as soon as I stir it I see it is separated. What should I do? Help!

asked by CarlaK 5 months ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Oh I'm so sorry Carla. It's never happened to me but I id find this article on Food52 that might help.
https://food52.com/blog...
Please let me know how it goes....

CarlaK

Thanks for your quick response Pat and the possible solution. Unfortunately, the blog’s tips did not work. I still had a separated, curdled-looking dressing. That said, I did use it last night and it was delicious with no negative visual effects!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Glad it worked out for you...maybe someone else will see this and help.

I was thinking along the lines of NOT blending the oils and acid (in this case, lemon juice) and just pourting them separately over the salad. That would give the same eventual tastes and maybe avoid the visual separation.
Or add more volume of emulsifier (garlic paste, dry mustard) and hope it coheres.
Found a fine article on why salad dressings separate, including suggestions of honey & tomato paste at emulsifiers. But I wouldn't use them in a Ceasar salad dressing.
So, again, maybe just emulsify the solids & fats, pour that and lemon juice separately over the salad, eat and enjoy.
https://www.sciencefriday...